Hi, everyone! In this blog, I will like to share about this big word - EXPECTATION and share my real-life experience. Speaking of expectations, the first thing which comes to my mind is our parents' expectations of us. Many parents, including mine, have high academic expectations of their children.


- High expectations of me

My parents start to have high expectations of me since I start going to school. Although their main concern is my academic, they also have expectations in several different areas such as behaviour, self hygiene and attitude. As parents of a student, they have high expectations of me as they want me to excel in my studies and have a better future. In my opinion, I believe this shows that my parents have the best interests for me and after all, having high expectations can also be an act of love to us!


In order for me to do well in my studies, my parents provide me with a conducive learning environment and buy a lot of assessments for me to revise. They expect me to work hard for my studies since I was young. Aim for perfection is what they want and they always tell me to strive for the best for everything. Well, I understand that they want me to be successful when I grow up, hence, their expectations are quite high. In fact, they always say that I must work hard and study well in order to get a good job. As a child, I will always try my best and put in all my effort.

In addition, they also want me to have a good learning attitude in order to study well, hence, they feel that having a high aim is a way for this. However, I must say that they do not have too high expectations of me, hence, they will try not to pose too much stress on me, especially when I am now secondary one (more assignments, exams, projects......).


What is different that I will always have high expectations on myself in academic. As a result of this, stress is inevitable and sometimes, I will really be unable to cope with my homework. But I will still do well for my exams, hence, I strongly believe that having a suitable level of expectations is good for us.


UCF psychologist Kimberly Renk once said, "that many parents and students hold different perceptions of what the parents' expectations are. Students often are trying to meet goals far tougher than the ideals their parents have in mind."


- What if I am a parent......?

Now, let's change our perspective. If I am a parent of two children, my expectations of my children will be quite similar to that of my parents. I will give them a suitable level of stress to help them to aim for perfection and nevertheless, I will have high expectations of them. In addition, I will hope that they will have good learning attitude and some important values such as perserverance and determination. I will expect them to work hard and strive for the best.


However, I will also understand their feelings and opinions of my expectations so that they will be willing to work hard for their goals. I will also hope that they will have their own expectations of themselves.


As you can see, both my parents and I have similiar goals for our children. This shows that although the generations are different, the goals and expectations of parents for their children are still the same and also tells us that all parents want their children to work hard to be useful adults who will make contributions to the society. So, I feel that all parents are the same and they all love and care about their children a lot as they will always find things which are the best for their childrens and have the best interest for them.