Recently, I had read an interesting novel entitled "Village By The Sea" written by Anita Desai. After reading for a few weeks, I felt that this novel had benefited and taught me a lot. In this novel, it teaches us some important themes such as:



  • Poverty and wealth

  • Family

  • Benefactors

  • Urban and Rural India

  • Change and Adaptation

This novel is about a poor family living in the rural part of India which is in a small fishing village, Thul and this novel tells us about the poverty situation the villages were facing. It tells us Hari who was the only son and the second-eldest child in the family and he had to give up schooling to work to support his family as a both of their parents could not take care of the family. Hari's father was the sole breadwinner in the family and was actually a fisherman in the village but he was addicted to toddy and he even sold his fishing boat. As a result, this caused his family to lose their income as they all depend on fishing like other villagers. Hari had to bear all the heavy responsibility for his father since his father was permanently drunk. In addition, Hari's mother was also severly sick and was bedridden for a long time but they were too poor to pay for the medicine. Hari's elder sister, Lila had to look after the family where Hari went to Bombay to search for job to support his family. This shows their state of desperation and poverty.


After reading this novel ,I had learnt some life values such as perseverance and determination which will benefit us in future a lot. In my opinion, I feel that this novel is very interesting and worth-reading as it really taught me a lot. I think that everyone should read it and you will never forget for your life! Believe me!